This blog is by Perry Suojoki from Nokia Solutions and Networks.
Our software developers have been busy innovating. Thanks to their efforts, we’ve been able to launch some great new ways for operators to both balance and add more traffic to WCDMA / LTE networks, and improve the efficiency of refarming GSM frequencies, while increasing customer satisfaction.
Enable more voice traffic
Three new features in the NSN Liquid Radio WCDMA Software Suite help transfer traffic from WCDMA to LTE, prioritize voice calls in mass events and further boost the network’s uplink performance to let people share their important moments:
1. Balance traffic loading better with Smart LTE Layering. This feature quickly transfers active smartphones from the more congested WCDMA network to the LTE/4G layer releasing 7% capacity from the over- burdened 3G layer.
2. Prioritize voice call requests over data traffic during high load situations, like mass events, reducing signaling and cutting voice call blocking by up to 95%.
3. Boost HSUPA cell throughput by up to 20%, while adding 2dB more coverage.*
Win more capacity and save big
Three new NSN Liquid Radio GSM Software Suite enhancements better support the refarming of GSM spectrum for WCDMA and LTE:
1. Eliminate the need for extra synchronization hardware when implementing Dynamic Frequency and Channel Allocation (DFCA), which can double base station site traffic. This means major cost savings and more GSM bandwidth for WCDMA or LTE
2. We’ve also enhanced DFCA with further upgrades for using the feature with RF sharing and with Orthogonal Sub Channel (OSC).
3. Apply OSC to up to 20% more handsets in order to raise GSM voice capacity higher than previously possible with OSC. OSC accommodates up to four users in a single GSM time slot, while maintaining good voice quality
These new capabilities build on the benefits of the existing features in our Liquid Radio Software Suites. Watch for more to come – our software engineers never stop!
Read more about the ins and outs of these new features and more on NSN Liquid Radio here
*Increase coverage with the Dynamic HSUPA BLER (Block Error Ratio) feature which automatically adjusts the BLER target as radio conditions change.